Is Gum Disease Curable?
Gum disease occurs when you do not clean your mouth properly. Factors such as smoking, poor oral hygiene and certain medications increase the risk of gum disease. People with periodontal disease often ask if it is curable. the answer depends on the patient’s immunity and the stage of the disease during diagnosis. In addition, the gum disease treatment provided is also a factor.
A dentist in Roswell, GA, will evaluate your gums, health records, and lifestyle habits. The results determine the healing ability of the patient’s gum disease. For example, if the gum disease is caught in its mild stages, it is curable. However, the condition is not curable if the dentist diagnoses it after it has advanced. Read on to learn about treating and curing gum disease.
Stages of Gum Disease
It is the first stage of gum disease and affects the gums at the base of the teeth. It occurs when you cannot maintain optimal dental hygiene. As a result, bacteria and plaque build-up along the gum line and harden. Once your body’s defense mechanism detects the bacteria, it tries fighting them off. This leads to gum inflammation.
Other symptoms of gingivitis include gums that bleed during cleaning. They are usually dark red, swollen, or puffy. You may also have bad breath when suffering from gingivitis. However, it is reversible or curable through an excellent oral routine. The dentist in Roswell, GA, is equipped to diagnose and provide effective treatments to cure gingivitis.
It is an advanced form of gingivitis that affects the gums, tooth roots, and jaw bone. As the immune system fights against the bacteria in the gum line, further damage occurs. The tissues that support the gums, teeth, and bones are destroyed. In addition, gum recession takes place; the teeth become loose and drift.
Periodontitis cannot be cured. Fortunately, the dentist can help you treat the symptoms through various treatments. Scaling and root planning are treatments offered to treat periodontitis preventing further risks. In addition, they help address gum recession and promote gum reattachment to teeth.
- Advanced periodontitis
It is the most severe stage of gum disease. Your teeth will fall out since the gums and jawbone cannot hold them in place. Advanced periodontitis cannot be cured. Fortunately, it can be managed by a skilled and experienced dentist like Dr. Judd Shenk. Surgical procedures such as gum and bone grafts are required to treat the disease. The tissues cannot re-grow on their own.
Tips to Protect Your Smile From Gum Disease
Gum disease has devastating side effects. They are tooth loss, strokes, kidney disease, heart attacks, and diabetes. Therefore, it is crucial to prevent gum disease. In addition, if you have gingivitis, you must seek dental assistance to prevent its progression. The dentist in 30075 recommends tips to protect your smile from periodontal disease. They include:
- Maintain excellent oral hygiene by brushing properly twice daily using the right technique. Use an electric toothbrush for better results. Ensure that you change the head of the toothbrush every three months.
- Clean between all your teeth using dental floss or interproximal brushes at least once each day. Consult your dentist so that you pick the correct size.
- Avoid using tobacco products because they contain nicotine which contributes to gum disease. The nicotine leads to dry mouth conditions and inhibits blood flow to the gums. This increases the risk of periodontal infections and illnesses.
- Take healthy and nutritious foods that boost your immune system and help prevent gum infections. In addition, avoid frequently snacking on sugary foods or drinks.
- Attend regular dental checkups and cleanings. The dentist will professionally clean your mouth and check the gums for signs of disease.
- If you have diabetes, ensure that your blood sugar levels are controlled. This is because too low or high blood sugar levels contribute to gum diseases.
You cannot fight, treat or manage gum disease on your own. You need the help of a trained and experienced dental team to address gum disease. Therefore, contact us at Shenk Dental Care-Roswell. We will give you the right dental healthcare education to help prevent gum disease. The team will also provide treatments to restore the health of your gums and teeth.